Nannup stone fruits are in season and in-store now!
The first crates of yellow peaches and nectarines arrived fresh off the truck from farm to store this morning. Come on in and taste the first of the season. Dave our new Store Manager will be happy to slice up a juicy fruit for you to try.
Low Food Mileage – Locally farmed in Nannup, only approx. 70km from Margaret River the Nannup nectarines and peaches were delivered by Mark Scott (yes, the farmer himself) this morning. Now you won’t find any fruit fresher in town or lower in environmental impact. It is important to us that food mileage is kept at a minimum for locally grown available produce. Our goal is to maintain the farm to shop relationship for handpicked, hand delivered produce so our customers enjoy premium quality in season fruit and vegetables.
Delicious and Healthy – Power packed with flavour these yellow, fleshy, juice filled fruit are low in calories and loaded with numerous health promoting anti-oxidants, plant nutrients, minerals and vitamins. They are the perfect summer fruit for picnic’s, salads or a quick snack for the beach or bush walk.
Want to peel your nectarines for a recipe? To peel, use the same technique as in peaches. Score a small cross at the base. Dip in boiling water just for a minute and immediately immerse in cold water to cool quickly. Then peel the skin away from the cross.
How to serve?
- Nectarines and peaches generally relished as it is, without any seasonings/additions.
- Slices can be added to fruit salads and desserts.
- The fruit can be used to make jams, jelly, and mixed fruit desserts.
- It can also be used in preparing pie, crumble, soup, tart, cheesecake etc.
- Fresh fruits are being used in variety of fruit cocktails along with grapes, pineapple, cherry, and plums.
Super Easy Recipe Suggestion
Grilled peach and nectarine salad – Char grilling fruit brings out the intensity of their flavour and inherent sweetness!
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large peaches, halved, stones removed
- 4 large nectarines, halved, stones removed
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 1 cup Vienna almonds, crushed
Step 1 – Heat a greased chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Place brown sugar on a plate. Dip cut side of peaches and nectarines in sugar.
Step 2 – Place 1 sheet baking paper in pan. Place fruit, cut side down, on paper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned.
Step 3 – Meanwhile, combine mascarpone, icing sugar and almond in a bowl. Serve fruit with mascarpone mixture.